[Haskell-cafe] Why not Darcs?

David Terei dave.terei at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 10:10:30 CEST 2011

Good chance you've already read this but if not here is a good post by
 Linus about his take on the problems with darcs:

http://markmail.org/message/vk3gf7ap5auxcxnb

 I personally think he is right on the money here. The other problem
 with Darcs is performance. While it has improved a lot its still not
 good enough. When GHC was using darcs you couldn't use the annotate
 command because it took far too long to run. If you can't use certain
 features of your vcs because of performance its a big fail. GHC isn't
 even really that large a code base, imagine trying to use darcs for
 say the Linux kernel. I also don't think darcs handles branches and
 merging well enough.

 Cheers,
David