[Haskell-cafe] Why not Darcs?

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sat Apr 23 12:31:55 CEST 2011

David Terei wrote:
> Good chance you've already read this but if not here is a good post by
>  Linus about his take on the problems with darcs:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/vk3gf7ap5auxcxnb

I always have to smile at the complaint that something is "academic". :D

You know, like purely functional programming, that's soo academic. It's
centered around some academic ideas, like mathematical functions,
higher-rank types, monads and zygohistomorphic prepromorphisms, that
have absolutely no relevance in real life, and that just don't work in
practice. You do *not* want to write whole programs that way. At some
point, you need something that works at another level than pure
functions. What the *hell* do you do?

I think a better invective would be "amazing".

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com