[Haskell-cafe] Why not Darcs?

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 16:02:09 CEST 2011

I'm a great fan of darcs, and also have never run into the performance and
reliability issues that GHC has.  That said, it's clear that they *have* run
into them, and if something else makes GHC development go more smoothly,
then I'm 100% supportive of their using it.

It is disappointing, though that (I agree with you here) git and others have
a fundamentally bad model for performing the task.  They chose that model
for pragmatic reasons... it's operationally clearer, even if the meaning of
things is a bit more muddled.  Making a working znd pragmatic version
control system using a darcs-ish model is simply a harder job than doing the
same in the git/hg way.  I use darcs whenever I can, and think they have
done an excellent job by and large; but you won't find a single darcs
developer who thinks they have completely accomplished the task.