[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Leksah 0.10.0

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 26 01:03:50 CEST 2011

On Friday 22 April 2011 12:40:17, Hamish Mackenzie wrote:
> Yesterday we uploaded our official 0.10.0 release (0.10.0.4) to Hackage

I'm trying to try it, but I run into a couple of problems.
Most are probably me looking in the wrong places, so let's begin with
those.

By default, the editor pane is on the left hand side and the module browser
or whatnot on the right. Very irritating. How do I switch the positions?
I tried swapping LeftP and RightP in Edit Prefs -> Initial Pane positions,
but to no avail.

Autocomplete starts at the first letter of any new word, so writing a
function definition

bar j
  | j == 0 = whatever
  | otherwise = somethingElse

requires paying attention and taking some action to not end up with

bar join| j == whatever ...

How do I configure autocompletion to only begin after three or four letters
have been typed?

Decreasing indentation via backspace goes one column per backspace, how can
I configure it to go to the next (previous) tab position on backspace in
the leading whitespace of a line?

Now, those configuration questions out of the way:
On first startup, I pointed leksah to ~/.cabal/packages/hackage.haskell.org
for sources (hoping it would know to unpack them and copy them to
~/.leksah-0.10/packageSources, run haddock on them and what else it needs).
It did indeed copy a bunch of sources there and invoked cabal and ghc a
number of times, but it left out about half of the installed packages.
It used an awful lot of memory to do that, peak about 1300MB virtual, 800MB
resident, which means swapping and thrashing (unless I shut down
practically everything else - I have only 1G of RAM).
Okay, for collecting metadata on the first startup, I could live with that
(though, if it handled packages sequentially, it should use less memory).

But on the second startup and the third, although it didn't invoke cabal or
ghc anymore,  the memory usage was about the same, effectively knocking out
my system for more than ten minutes.
On the third, I had not enough patience and killed it, leksah-server showed
no signs of stopping within two minutes after kill -TERM, so I had to kill
-KILL it.

What can I do to make leksah a good memory-citizen?
With the current behaviour, it is unusable for me, unfortunately.