[Haskell-cafe] How to keep cabal and ghci package versions in sync?

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 02:14:38 CEST 2011

On 27/04/2011, at 3:04 AM, Rogan Creswick wrote:

> At the moment, cabal-dev ghci just uses the -package-conf and
> -no-user-package-conf flags to restrict ghci to the sandboxed and
> global package dbs.
>
> It's difficult to do more without parsing the content of the project's
> cabal file, and that parser isn't exposed through a library api (it's
> in cabal-install), which makes it a little difficult to use.

Can't you use cabal as a library to do this?

I had a crack at figuring out a ghci command line in TBC (testing by convention):

https://github.com/peteg/TBC

while waiting for this cabal feature to be implemented:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/382

Apparently there's a GSoC project that will nail this.

You can fire up TBC with the verbose flag and it will give you a very long ghc invocation line that is strongly similar to what cabal uses to compile your project. It doubtlessly is incomplete, and probably bit rotten. I will try to make it work with the latest Haskell Platform release in the coming weeks.

I welcome patches, but you're better off fixing cabal itself.

cheers
peter

--
http://peteg.org/