[Haskell-cafe] Additional functions of GMP

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:38:32 CEST 2011

On Thursday 11 August 2011, 14:06:21, Artyom Kazak wrote:
> GMP has a lot of functions, such as extracting roots, primality test,
> Legendre symbol,

I'm writing a package (arithmoi) that will include reasonably fast
implementations of those, but I never find the time to finish it :(

> factorial and so on. These can be written in Haskell,
> of course, but isn't it better to use existing functions?

Not necessarily. But

> They are also
> much faster than similar functions from NumericPrelude, I believe.

There's that.

> I have heard GHC 7.2.1 now includes module named GHC.Integer.Logarithms,
> but I can't find its description anywhere.

http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.2.1/html/libraries/integer-gmp-0.3.0.0/GHC-
Integer-Logarithms.html

> So, my question is: can I use full power of GMP's functions, and if I
> can — how?

No, you can't, unfortunately (not easily, anyway).