[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.2.1

austin seipp as at hacks.yi.org
Thu Aug 11 20:17:51 CEST 2011

VECTORISE is for Data Parallel Haskell. It's only relevant to GHC's
internal vectorisation pass - I don't actually think there is any use
case for it in user code at the moment, it's only used by the DPH
libraries/special prelude, etc.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Henning Thielemann
<schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
> On 09.08.2011 22:01, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>>
>> The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new major release of GHC, 7.2.1.
>>
>> The 7.2 branch is intended to be more of a "technology preview" than
>> normal GHC stable branches; in particular, it supports a significantly
>> improved version of DPH, as well as new features such as compiler
>> plugins and "safe Haskell". The design of these new features may evolve
>> as we get more experience with them. See the release notes for more
>> details of what's new and what's changed.
>
> These sound like a lot of exciting news. The release notes also mention a
> VECTORISE pragma, that is not mentioned in
>   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.2.1/html/users_guide/pragmas.html
> and not in the index. Is it about the planned GHC support for SSE/AltiVec
> vector units or is it about DPH?

Regards,
Austin