[Haskell-cafe] Proposal #3339: Add (+>) as a synonym for mappend

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 19:43:01 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 13:38, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:

> Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > Umm, I think the semigroups package will break everything that creates
> > Monoid instances anyway.
>
> It has never broken anything for me. What do you mean?

Anything useful has to be modified to depend on SemiGroup as well to get
mconcat or its replacement; that's why you jumped the proposal to begin
with....  As others have noted, this is a rather intrusive change to the
Haskell ecosystem.

*If* it has in fact been decided to go ahead with it, *then* this proposal
should be merged with yours since the best time to do it is when mconcat is
being relocated anyway.  I don't think we've made it past the "if",
especially given the comments so far.