[Haskell-cafe] Generics (SYB) with parametrized types

José Pedro Magalhães jpm at cs.uu.nl
Tue Aug 16 08:04:28 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to do, but when I read

Ideally, I'd like to restrict my
> search to Located instances that wrap an instance of Outputable,

I think this means SYB is not the right tool. Due to the way Typeable works
(it's monomorphic), SYB doesn't really play well with adhoc cases for types
which satisfy given class constraints. Your adhoc cases have to be listed
per type, a bit like in the empty function [1], for instance.

Also, SYB and parametrized types don't really mix all that well either. This
affects things like extracting all the `b`s from a `Located b`. Perhaps you
could have a look at the new generics in GHC 7.2 [2]? You should be able to
derive `Generic` for all the GHC API types (using standalone deriving), and
this mechanism deals fine with (single) parametrized types. I'd be happy to
hear what happens if you try this.

Cheers,
Pedro

[1]