[Haskell-cafe] why is Random in System?

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 22:12:55 CEST 2011

I think of it as natural for exactly the reason you stated (the data
comes from the OS).  It seems even more natural to me in the entropy
package module 'System.Entropy' as I am accustom to the phrase system
entropy.  Equally, I would fine a 'Network.Entropy' module acceptable
under the assumption it connects to one of the public random number
servers for it's data.

Perhaps a top level "Random." should be used, but that too can be
questioned.  For example, when I import the module "Random" or perhaps
"Random.Generators" would I get fast prngs?  Cryptographic prngs?
Both?  Something else (both slow and weak, like what we have now ;-)
)?

Cheers,
Thomas