[Haskell-cafe] FFI question - FunPtrs to top-level functions

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 04:49:04 CEST 2011

Hi Haskell,

I have a question about the Haskell FFI and creating FunPtrs to
Haskell functions.

Does anyone have any recommendations for when I have a top-level
function that I would like to pass to a C function as a function
pointer (that is called via a foreign import)?

I know that the FFI provides the "wrapper" foreign import I can use to
wrap Haskell functions, but then I would need to jump through hoops to
manage the liefetime of of the FunPtr wrapper. If I were closing over
interesting state I would want this - but the function
(side-effectfully) operates only on its arguments (and the Haskell
RTS, of course).

Is it "okay" to place an "unsafePerformIO $ mkWrapper myFunc" as a
top-level declaration, or am I journeying into uncharted lands?

Is there something clever I can do with foreign exports and foreign
imports, or is this just making things too complex?

Thanks,
Antoine