[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: monad-control-0.3

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 14:03:18 CET 2011

On 6 December 2011 12:59, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 December 2011 05:06, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
>>> Maybe this will help[1]. It's using RWST instead of StateT, but it's
>>> the same idea.
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/yesodweb/yesod/commit/7619e4e9dd88c152d1e00b6fea073c3d52dc797f#L0R105
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Note that you can just reuse the MonadTransControl instance of the
>> RWST transformer:
>>
>> instance MonadTransControl (GGWidget master) where
>>    newtype StT (GGWidget master) a =
>>        StWidget {unStWidget :: StT (GWInner master) a}
>>    liftWith f = GWidget $ liftWith $ \run ->
>>                   f $ liftM StWidget . run . unGWidget
>>    restoreT = GWidget . restoreT . liftM unStWidget
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bas
>
> Thanks Bas, I was just in the process of converting Widget from being
> a RWS to a Writer, and your code made it much simpler :).
>
> Michael

Do you think it's useful to have the following two utility functions
for defining a MonadTransControl instance for your own monad
transformer provided that your transformers is defined in terms of
another transformer:

defaultLiftWith ∷ (Monad m, MonadTransControl tInner)
                ⇒ (tInner m α → t m α)          -- ^ Constructor
                → (∀ β n. t n β → tInner n β)   -- ^ Deconstructor
                → (∀ β. StT tInner β → StT t β) -- ^ State constructor
                → ((Run t → m α) → t m α)
defaultLiftWith con deCon st = \f → con $ liftWith $ \run →
                                      f $ liftM st ∘ run ∘ deCon

defaultRestoreT ∷ (Monad m, MonadTransControl tInner)
                ⇒ (tInner m α → t m α)      -- ^ Constructor
                → (StT t α  → StT tInner α) -- ^ State deconstructor
                → (m (StT t α) → t m α)
defaultRestoreT con unSt = con ∘ restoreT ∘ liftM unSt

For example in your case you would use these as follows:

instance MonadTransControl (GGWidget master) where
    newtype StT (GGWidget master) a =
        StWidget {unStWidget :: StT (GWInner master) a}
    liftWith = defaultLiftWith GWidget unGWidget StWidget
    restoreT = defaultRestoreT GWidget unStWidget

Bas