[Haskell-cafe] Type checker for haskell-src-exts (was: Typechecking Using GHC API)

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 15 18:24:14 CET 2011

What exactly are the hopes for such a type checker?  I can understand
it being interesting as a research project, but as a realistic tools
there are two huge issues:

 1. It's going to take a LOT of time to reach feature parity with
GHC's type checker.

 2. Assuming that can be done, how is it going to be maintained and
kept up to date with GHC?

If it is going to be used as a development tool, both of these are a
major requirement.  I haven't looked into the issues, but I'd expect
it would be more realistic (although definitely not trivial) to
translate from GHC's internal AST into an annotated haskell-src-exts
AST.

On 15 December 2011 16:33, Sean Leather <leather at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 11:07, Niklas Broberg wrote:
>>
>> Envisioned: The function you ask for can definitely be written for
>> haskell-src-exts, which I know you are currently using. I just need to
>> complete my type checker for haskell-src-exts first. Which is not a small
>> task, but one that has been started.
>

> That's good to know! I presume it's something like Haskell98 to start with?
> I'd be even more impressed (and possibly also concerned for your health) if
> you were going to tackle all of the extensions!
>
> I've been trying to find a student to write a haskell-src-exts type checker
> for me. It should use a particular kind of mechanism though, using
> constraints similar to [1]. Then, I want to adapt that to do
> transformations. What approach are you using? Maybe I can somehow steal your
> work... ;)
>
> Regards,
> Sean
>
> [1] http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~heere112/phdthesis/