[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] Proposal to incorporate Haskell.org

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 16 14:21:52 CET 2011

On 16 December 2011 11:10, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> wrote:
> On 16/12/2011 10:59, Giovanni Tirloni wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 7:08 AM, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li
>> <mailto:ganesh at earth.li>> wrote:
>>
>>     > Q: If an umbrella non-profit organisation "The Haskell Foundation" was
>>     >     created, would haskell.org <http://haskell.org> be able to
>>     join it?
>>     > A: Yes. It's likely that in such a scenario, the Haskell Foundation
>>     >     would become the owner of the haskell.org <http://haskell.org>
>>     domain name, with the cost
>>     >     divided between the members. The entity that is part of the
>>     SFC would
>>     >     be renamed "community.haskell.org
>>     <http://community.haskell.org>" in order to avoid confusion.
>>

>> Would it be a too ambitious goal to create the "Haskell Foundation" at
>> this moment?
>
> It would be a lot of administrative effort - managing accounts, tax
> filings, etc. While it would give us more control, I don't think the
> benefits would be very significant.
>
> So in my view for now it's best not to go it alone.

I agree.  If at some point we feel that having a Haskell Foundation
would be desirable (despite the additional overheads) there shouldn't
be anything stopping us from doing so.  Are there any drawbacks in
joining such an organisation?  How do they finance their overheads?
Would a donation to haskell.org include a fee to SPI?  I couldn't find
any information on their website.

/ Thomas