[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Anansi 0.4.2 (literate programming pre-processor)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Dec 18 13:05:06 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:36:44PM -0800, John Millikin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 03:39, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> 1. What to call files?  I understand (C)WEB suggests using .w, and
>> that noweb uses .nw, what should I call anansi files?
>
> I usually use .anansi, but it doesn't matter. You can use whatever
> extensions you like, or even none at all.

I'll stick to .anansi as well then, it's rather descriptive :-)

>> 2. Combining anansi and pandoc works quite well for HTML, but it
>> fails miserably when trying to use the generated LaTeX:
>>
>>    > markdown2pdf: ! LaTeX Error: Command \guillemotleft
>>      unavailable in encoding OT1.
>>
>>    Is there any good way to get around that?
>
> The LaTeX loom is designed to output basic markup that can be turned
> into a PDF with minimum fuss. It probably won't work as-is for more
> advanced cases, such as when a user wants to use custom templates, or
> has to inter-operate with pseudo-LaTeX parsers like Pandoc.

I was probably unclear, I *really* would like to use the markdown loom
and then pass the weave through pandoc to be able to create html/latex
from the same source.  So I suspect the problem I ran into is more
related to pandoc than anansi, but I was hoping that someone among the
anansi users had run into and solved it already :-)

> You could try copying the LaTeX loom into your own code, modifying
> it to generate the custom output format you want, and then running
> it as a #!runhaskell script.

I might try that, but then use the markdown loom as the basis instead.
It would be nice to have a specific pandoc loom that makes use of its
extensions to markdown, where that makes sense.

>> 3. Is there any editor support for anansi, syntax highlihgting etc?
>
> Not that I know of. Note that Anansi's syntax itself is very
> minimal, so what you need is an editor that can support formatting a
> file using multiple syntaxes. I don't know enough about editor
> modification to figure out which editors support such a feature, or
> how to enable it.

It's rather easy to do in vim, e.g. by setting the filetype to
something line 'markdown.haskell'.  I haven't tried putting together
three filetypes, but I suspect it just works :-)  If I get around to
putting together an anansi syntax file for vim I'll make sure to share
it.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
     -- Alan Kay