[Haskell-cafe] If you'd design a Haskell-like language, what would you do different?

scooter.phd at gmail.com scooter.phd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 05:14:35 CET 2011

I'd suggest, in addition to the symbols, renaming some of the fundamental types and concepts, like Monad. I would violently agree that Monad is the correct term, but try to communicate with a commodity software developer sometime (or a government acquisition professional). RWH goes a long way to explaining the concepts, as do the countless Web pages dedicated to explaining the monad concept.

Better examples for SYB and arrows would also help.

Haskell is a great language with solid mathematical underpinnings. I'm a big fan of it. But, adoption is the key to success; need to make the ordinary easy to understand unless the community wants to be relegated to Scala status.