[Haskell-cafe] If you'd design a Haskell-like language, what would you do different?

MigMit miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Sat Dec 24 21:29:07 CET 2011

Отправлено с iPad

24.12.2011, в 18:50, Alexander Solla <alex.solla at gmail.com> написал(а):

> In the same way, denotational semantics adds features which do not apply to a theory of finite computation.

And why exactly should we limit ourselves to some theory you happen to like?

> > The /defining/ feature of a bottom is that it doesn't have an interpretation.
>
> What do you mean by "interpretation"?
>
> You know, the basic notion of a function which maps syntax to concrete values.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_theory

But (_|_) IS a concrete value.

> But they ARE very similar to other values. They can be members of otherwise meaningful structures, and you can do calculations with these structures. "fst (1, _|_)" is a good and meaningful calculation.
>
> Mere syntax.

So what?

> >  Every other Haskell value /does/ have an interpretation.
>
> So, (_|_) is bad, but (1, _|_) is good?
>
> I did not introduce "good" and "bad" into this discussion.  I have merely said (in more words) that I want my hypothetical perfect language to prefer OPERATIONAL (model) SEMANTICS for a typed PARACONSISTENT LOGIC over the DENOTATIONAL SEMANTICS which the official documentation sometimes dips into.

Well, that's a different story. But it seems to me that the term "Haskell-like" won't apply to that kind of language. Also, it seems to me (though I don't have any kind of proof) that denotational semantics is something that is much simpler.

> It is clear that denotational semantics is a Platonic model of constructive computation.

Could you please stop offending abstract notions?

> Then you are mistaken.  I am talking about choosing the appropriate mathematical model of computation to accurately, clearly, and simply describe the language's semantics.

Well, domain theory does exactly that for Haskell.