[Haskell-cafe] Windows: openFile gives permission denied when file in use

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 29 13:20:18 CET 2011

>> Every time I hear "oh, I don't think Windows can
>> handle that", I sigh with resignation.
>
> Sorry to say, but it seems you yourself are unaware of the "extensive
> and highly flexible" locking facilities on Linux :) The defaults on
> Linux are advisory locking, not mandatory, but claiming Linux doesn't
> support locking is plain wrong.

I would suggest that advisory locking isn't particularly useful. I
gather that Linux does now support real locking though. (And file update
notifications, and ACLs, and lots of other things that Windows has had
for far longer.)

Either way, I have no interest in starting a Windows vs Linux flamewar.
I'm just saying it would be nice if Haskell could support more of what
these two OSes have to offer.