[Haskell-cafe] Level of Win32 GUI support in the Haskell platform

Steve Horne sh006d3592 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 02:53:22 CET 2011

I've been for functions like GetMessage, TranslateMessage and
DispatchMessage in the Haskell Platform Win32 library - the usual
message loop stuff - and not finding them. Hoogle says "no results found".

Is this level of Win32 GUI coding supported? (other than by dealing with
the FFI myself)

Alternatively, should I be doing dialog-based coding and leaving Haskell
to worry about message loops behind the scenes?

Either way, is there an example I can use for reference? I have
something along the lines of Petzolds Hello World in mind as the ideal
(register a window class, handle the messages, paint some text), but
anything that shows how to get a basic Win32 GUI app running in Haskell
is fine.