[Haskell-cafe] ($) not as transparent as it seems

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 22:25:04 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Steffen Schuldenzucker
<sschuldenzucker at uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Dear cafe,
>
> does anyone have an explanation for this?:

> *** Exception: foo

> *** Exception: *** Exception: foo

I don't know if this is relevant, but I thought that the GHC compiler
believes that all exceptions are equivalent and indistinguishable -
that is, in the presence of multiple exceptional code-paths it will
make optimizations that would not otherwise otherwise be sound.

That might not be the issue here, but it is interesting.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/papers/imprecise-exn.htm

Antoine