[Haskell-cafe] Problem with xhtml 1.5.1.1: html tags are split

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 15:57:58 CET 2011

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Bjorn Bringert <bjorn at bringert.net> wrote:
>> I support finding a new maintainer.
>
> Alright; as the old maintainer, I guess it falls on you to advertise
> on -cafe and libraries.

Has a request gone out yet? I didn't notice anything (maybe it got
lost in all the recent haskell.org downtime), and the current Hackage
page of xhtml is still listing Bjorn.

Anyway, John MacFarlane has found a workaround which he's implemented
in HEAD Pandoc (http://code.google.com/p/pandoc/issues/detail?id=134);
from http://groups.google.com/group/pandoc-discuss/browse_frm/thread/915586b5c5e264b6#
:

> Many people have wanted pandoc to produce "more normal" HTML output,
> without nesting, but with line breaks between block elements (where
> they aren't semantically significant). Something like this:
>
> <ul>
> <li>another list item</li>
> </ul>
>
> I've found that I can get this kind of output, even using Text.XHtml's
> renderer, by modifying the writer to insert raw newlines after block
> elements, and using 'showHtmlFragment' rather than 'prettyHtmlFragment'.

This may be useful for other people to know. (There are quite a few
users of xhtml:
http://bifunctor.homelinux.net/~roel/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/revdeps/xhtml-3000.2.0.1#direct
)

--