[Haskell-cafe] coding style vs. foreign interfaces

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Mon Feb 7 09:59:07 CET 2011

On 7 Feb 2011, at 03:10, Donn Cave wrote:

> I just noticed a handful of spelling errors, in a package that isn't
> all that obscure.  Enums from a C interface -
>
> data AlarmingNews =
>   --  ALARM_STUFF_WENT_WRONG
>   AlarmStufWentWrong | ...

FWIW, if you generate these bindings with a tool (e.g. hsc2hs, c2hs),
then there are standard machine-generated translations, which follow
simple rules (so are easy to guess) and being mechanical, are always
spelled as expected.  For example

     aLARM_STUFF_WENT_WRONG

for a constant Haskell Int value corresponding to the C enum or CPP
constant.

Regards,
     Malcolm