[Haskell-cafe] Byte Histogram

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 7 22:00:16 CET 2011

>>> Haskell en Clean are very much alike.
>>
>>  From what I could determine from a basic Clean introduction, Clean is very *unlike* Haskell, having a far more verbose and low-level syntax. (E.g., the compiler can't even determine whether a binding is recursive or not for itself. You have to say that manually.)
>
> I have no idea what you are talking about here.
> Clean is _very_ Haskell-like, including typeclasses.
>
> Here's the first few lines of code from a Clean file I wrote in 1998.

I clearly have my languages mixed up.

The language I'm thinking of required all variables (even top-level
ones) to be declared with "let" - unless the definition is recursive, in
which case you have to say "letrec" (i.e., the compiler it too stupid to
deduce this automatically). Apparently that isn't Clean...