[Haskell-cafe] How to use http-enumerator with hoauth?

Diego Souza dsouza at bitforest.org
Wed Feb 16 13:56:22 CET 2011

Thanks! I'm going to start working on this. Creating specific
typeclasses is a good idea and I also believe that these changes can
be done without breaking existing code. I'll see how that goes and
keep you guys updated.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy at goop.org> wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 05:49 PM, Diego Souza wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for the feedbacks. They sound very reasonable.
>>
>> Going back in time, the first version was in fact a pure library.
>> However, at some point I changed this as I thought it would make it
>> easier to use, which might have been a mistake of mine.
>
> Yes, I think its a good idea to keep things simple and pure to ease
> composition.
>
>> I'm just concerned about changing the interface once more, but it
>> might be justified. Perhaps splitting it into the pure oauth functions
>> as used to be in the beginning and another one that puts the http
>> layer, in case one finds it convenient. That might mitigate this
>> problem, and perhaps, avoid changing the interface.
>
> Since there seem to be a number of existing users of your API, it would
> be rude to break it on them.
>
> You can implement a clearly defined two-layer API for the package: a
> mostly pure layer which deals with the basics of settings up OAuth
> requests and responses, and then the current API layered on top of it.
>
> The main problem is dealing with all the different Request/Response
> types.  But if you can narrow down the sets of operations you need for
> each and define typeclasses with the appropriate functions, it should be
> fairly to make the existing types instances of those classes (ie, akin
> to HttpClient, but avoiding the IO where possible).

~dsouza
yahoo!im: paravinicius
gtalk: dsouza.rb at gmail.com
gpg pub key: http://bitforest.org/~dsouza/pub/gpg-pubkey.txt