[Haskell-cafe] HDBC's future and request for help

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Wed Feb 23 18:57:03 CET 2011

Thanks John,

I think this is a valuable discussion.

The compromise you propose wouldn't address the main point - the fear and
aversion of using (L)GPL IP in proprietary IP.

For me the key phrase in your email was the final one - 'if my reading is
correct'. Everywhere I would take advantage of this modified license I will
need to get the lawyers of the people owning the host IP to agree to this
interpretation.

I have checked all of the packages in the Haskell Platform and they are all
BSD3. If it had been otherwise it would have destroyed a significant part of
the value of the HP - clear and straightforward licensing implications for
using it.

I really don't want to plough work into a package that can't be bundled with
the HP, the natural home for strategically-important high-quality libraries.

Turning this around, it is going to be much easier to get people who are
using Haskell in commercial contexts to contribute to HDBC if it has a
license that meets their requirements.

I do appreciate your concerns - I have regularly contributed code to the
community and want to continue doing so - but I think there is little real
prospect of HDBC being attacked by a proprietary derivative. I don't doubt
there will be some free-loading, but this might be the inevitable price of
attracting more investment.

Chris