[Haskell-cafe] Defining a type depending on the word size of platform

Robert Clausecker fuzxxl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 13:45:13 CET 2011

Hi guys!

I'm working on a random generator package and want to ask, whether it's
possible to generate a type like Int, that can have different sizes at
runtime.

Motivation:

The package ships to generators, one for 32 (lets name it MyGen32) and
one for 64 bits (MyGen64). As it is not good for performance to use the
wrong one, I also want to provide a type MyGen, that is either a type
synonym for MyGen32 or MyGen64, depending on the platform. Any ideas how
to do this at compile time? I want this to compile with Cabal so that
anybody can download it as a package.

I guess the easiest way would be to use CPP, but is there any flag for
the wordsize?

Yours, Robert Clausecker