[Haskell-cafe] How about Haskell Golf just like vimgolf.com

Alex Kropivny alex.kropivny at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 23:33:30 CET 2011

Could something like code abstraction be done instead?

Haskell lends itself to solving problems in really generic, high level ways
that reveal a LOT about the underlying problem structure. Through some
combination of descriptive data types, generic type classes, and generic
helper functions... You get an extremely clear problem description.

Example: https://github.com/amtal/snippets/blob/master/Key.hs (Haskell)
versus http://siyobik.info/index.php?module=pastebin&id=543 (C++)

Clarity is a lot harder to score for, so you'd probably need to score things
via votes. (Unless there's a way to measure how "generic"/high-level code
is?) Such a site would fill a very nice role, that the programming language
shootout definitely does not fill.

Currently the only way to figure out what "good" Haskell code looks like is
to browse lots of blogs, and dig through hackage until you find beautifully
written packages.

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Brandon S Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu