[Haskell-cafe] Building lambdabot

Joe Bruce bruce.joe.r at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 02:13:46 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Max Bolingbroke
<batterseapower at hotmail.com>wrote:

> I don't think readline links against iconv. What that error says to me
> is that GHC is failing to link against *any* iconv. I bet that it's
> because you have iconv installed via Macports without +universal. Try:
>
> $ file /opt/local/lib/libiconv.a
>
> It should say:
>
> /opt/local/lib/libiconv.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
> /opt/local/lib/libiconv.a (for architecture i386):      current ar archive
> random library
> /opt/local/lib/libiconv.a (for architecture x86_64):    current ar
> archive random library

If nothing else, I've learned about checking locations and architectures of
libraries in this little adventure, so I had checked that prior to writing.
 I do in fact have the universal binary installed.  What's more, both the
macport and system versions are universal.  I tried telling cabal to
explicitly use each, separately, and it failed both times, though it gave me
a different error when compiling against the system lib.  (It complained
about readline again, which is why I assumed readline had some dependency on
iconv.)

I'm going to try what Gwern recommended (using the darcs repository for
lambdabot) before I continue down this route.

Thanks for your persistence.