[Haskell-cafe] Haskell, C and Matrix Multiplication

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 12:17:34 CET 2011

Rather than commenting on the code provided, here are the two biggest wins
I've had recently with Haskell.  Both of these are part of a physical
modeling project.

1) uu-parsinglib - simple to use and automatic error correction.  I really,
really enjoy working with this library, and how often can you say that?

2) STM - the original design reads a system and all inputs from a config
file, then runs the system and produces output.  I wanted to build the
system from a file but collect inputs and produce output in real-time.
 After a few small adjustments, a few TVar's and a TMVar, and three
forkIO's, it was working.

One concern is that the engine (which is computation-intensive) shouldn't
block waiting for input, it should just continue on and catch up later.
 With STM, this can be expressed as:

atomically $ getInputs inputTVar `orElse` return ()

and there's the desired behavior.  Couldn't be easier.

John

From: Blake Rain <blake.rain at gmail.com>

> Dear Haskellers,
>
> I thought I'd take some time to share something of my weekend with
> you  all.   Not because  of  anything new,  but  because  it is  a
> feel-good example  of Haskell  being win. A  good read  for Monday
> morning, perhaps.

<code snipped>