[Haskell-cafe] HDBC, postgresql, bytestrings and embedded NULLs

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Jan 17 21:52:26 CET 2011

On 01/17/2011 10:07 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Leon Smith<leon.p.smith at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Michael Snoyman<michael at snoyman.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> In general I think it would be a good thing to have solid, low-level bindings to PostgreSQL.
>>
>> Well, there is PostgreSQL and libpq on hackage:
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/libpq
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/PostgreSQL
>>
>> The PostgreSQL looks like it's in need of maintenance,  and hasn't
>> been updated in a few years.   libpq is new,  and looks promising.   I
>> haven't really used either one, so I can't really say too much about
>> either.
>>
>> Best,
>> Leon
>>

> I've tried PostgreSQL before, and if I remember correctly I couldn't
> even build it. libpq looks interesting, I'd like to try it out.
> Unfortunately it depends on unix, which would be a problem for Windows
> users. If it looks like a good fit for persistent-postgresql, maybe I
> can convince the author to replace the unix dep with something else
> (unix-compat might be sufficient).

I would also like to know what things people find are deficient in HDBC
or HDBC-postgresql.  If the API isn't good enough for some uses, that
could be fixed.  I would like to avoid a proliferation of database
libraries as that is unnecessary duplication of work.  HDBC does have an
easy way for DB backends to implement more functionality than the HDBC
API supports, or an alternative could also be to make HDBC-postgresql a
thin binding over libpq or some such.

-- John