[Haskell-cafe] Are constructors strict?

Daryoush Mehrtash dmehrtash at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 22:18:45 CET 2011

I am having hard time understanding the following paragraph in "Purely
functional Lazy non-deterministic  programing" paper
http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~ccshan/rational/lazy-nondet.pdf

The problem with the naive monadic encoding of non-determinism is that the
arguments to a constructor must be deterministic. If these arguments are
themselves results of non-deterministic computations, these computations
must be performed completely before we can apply the constructor to build a
non-deterministic result.

Why does the argument to constructors must be deterministic?    WHy is it
that thunks are not used in this case?

Thanks

--
Daryoush