[Haskell-cafe] hledget: mtv vs transformers

Dmitry Astapov dastapov at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 11:50:27 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:

> Couldn't you depend on either version of mtl?

Point is that in this particular case two different versions of mtl are
being pulled in the compilation by different dependencies. Plus,
transformers 0.2.* is selected as well.

Cabal reasons along the following lines:
  one dependency is hledger 0.13, which is built against the mtl 1.x.
Selecting both
  another dependency is Chart, which is built against transformers 0.2.x

  Now instances from transformers conflict with those from mtl 1.x, when you
are building hledger-chart

  Plus, when you are rebuilding hledger-0.13 from scratch, they start to
conflict as well.

  Add in the mix deficiency of 6.12.1 which is sometimes picks up wrong
version of packages (or so I remember), and all the hell breaks loose.

  The only solution for me was to bump mtl to 2.x, rebuild everything
depending on mtl, and something pulled in newer "process" in the process,
which caused another wave of rebuilds.

  With 6.12.3 or 7.0.1 everything is way easier (as expected) :)

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:37 AM, Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> wrote:
> > You mean mtl 2.*, right ?
> >
> > Yes that is a problem. I'm nervous about requiring mtl 2 because when I
> > bumped hledger 0.13's process dependency to 0.14 for similar reasons it
> made
> > all kinds of trouble for folks who just want to install the hledger core
> in
> > standard/older haskell environments.
> >
> > On Jan 20, 2011, at 5:11 PM, Dmitry Astapov wrote:
> >>
> >> Since hledger-chart depends on Chart, which in turn depends on
> >> transformers 0.2.*, it will make a sense to bump all mtl dependencies in
> >> hledger to 2.2
> >>
> >> When one does "make install" with older GHC (like 6.12.1, for example),
> >> and mtl 1.x is available, it would be happily used for hledger-lib and
> >> hledger, but compilation of hledger-chart will pull in transformers 0.2
> (but
> >> not the newer mtl) and will fail due to conflicting instances.

Dmitry Astapov