[Haskell-cafe] GPL License of H-Matrix and prelude numeric

Vivian McPhail haskell.vivian.mcphail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 05:02:31 CET 2011

Hi,

> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 08:18 +1000, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> > Or else because the developers _wanted_ to license it under the GPL.
> > Some people do, you know.
>
> Sure, but I agree it would be nice to know whether the authors chose the
> GPL, or applied it because of linking with GPLed native libraries and
> might be open to relicensing the native stuff.  Seems like a good
> question to me.
>
> --
> Chris Smith

hmatrix contains a binding to (i) the GNU GSL library (for fast vector
optimisations) and (ii) BLAS/LAPACK (for linear algebra).

The GNU GSL library _requires_ a LGPL license.

In the short term I do not think this can change.

In the longer term, once dph and friends are working well and performance is
optimised (dph can do fast linear algebra), the reliance on GSL and LAPACK
might be removed.

The hmatrix package can be configured to use Data.Vector.Storable of the
vector package, and there is work being done on improving fast vector
operations in that package.  As far as I know, the vector package is _not_
intending to supply mathematical operations.

Alberto?

Cheers,

Vivian