[Haskell-cafe] How to ensure code executes in the context of a specific OS thread?

David Barbour dmbarbour at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 22:11:13 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the real issue is that GHC has a different behavior than GHCi,
>> and I think this causes a lot of difficulties for people working on GUI
>> and other FFI integration.

Well, GHCi has no main, so it doesn't seem surprising (to me) that it's
> different.

If we start GHCi then run the function called 'main', we should ideally get
the same behavior as building with GHC then executing the process.
Variations make exploratory programming with GHCi very difficult, especially
with concurrent haskell.

> However, if -fno-ghci-sandbox doesn't have any drawbacks we could just make
> it the default.

That sounds good, too. I think it worth looking up what the drawbacks will
be. It might be an acceptable trade even if there are minor drawbacks. I
would imagine the main benefit of the sandbox is ability to interrupt a task
- i.e. job control from the GHCi shell.

Regards,

Dave