[Haskell-cafe] Call for GUI examples - Functional Reactive Programming

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Fri Jul 8 12:44:23 CEST 2011

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 08:08:26 +0200, Heinrich Apfelmus
<apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:

> Dear Haskellers,
>
> Can GUI programming be liberated from the IO monad? Functional Reactive
> Programming (FRP) promises as much, and I'm trying to make this dream a
> reality with my [reactive-banana][] library. Having released version
> 0.4.0.0, I am now looking for example programs to direct the future
> evolution of the library.
>
> Do you know any *small GUI programs* that you would *like* to see
> *implemented with Functional Reactive Programming?*

wxAsteroids[0] seems very well suited for this; it is small and reactive.
It is also well-documented, as Daan Leijen has written a paper[1],
describing this game as a means to show how to use wxHaskell.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

[0] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxAsteroids
[1] A Portable and Concise GUI Library for Haskell
     http://legacy.cs.uu.nl/daan/download/papers/wxhaskell.pdf

--
http://Van.Tuyl.eu/