[Haskell-cafe] [iteratee] empty chunk as special case of input

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 03:59:06 CEST 2011

Sorry for the followup, but I forgot about one other important reason
(probably the real reason) for the nullC case in bindIteratee.  Note
what happens in the regular case: the iteratee is run, and if it's in
a completed state, the result is passed to the bound function (in the
"m_done" line), which is then also run.  Examine what happens if the
inner iteratee is also complete:

> const . flip onDone stream

which would be more clearly written as

> \b _str -> onDone b stream

so in this case the leftover stream result from the first iteratee
(stream) is used as the result of the second iteratee, and the
leftover stream from the second iteratee (_str) is discarded.

This doesn't seem right; what should happen is that the two streams
should be appended somehow.  It works because at this stage an
iteratee won't have been enumerated over (by the current stream at
least), so it can't have any leftover data, just a null chunk.  But
bindIteratee explicitly checks for the null chunk case also so that's
not a problem.  If the iteratee was enumerated over by another stream
and therefore does have leftover data, then since that data isn't part
of the current stream it's rightfully discarded anyway.

This is why your function produced an unexpected result; it's in a
completed state without having been enumerated over, but also has
leftover data, which bindIteratee ignores.

Now that I've thought about it, I'm not convinced this is always
correct; in particular I suspect it for being responsible for a
slightly convoluted implementation of enumFromCallbackCatch.  I'll
have to expend more brain cells on it, I think.

John L.