[Haskell-cafe] Haskell and Databases

Tobias Schoofs tobias.schoofs at gmx.net
Sun Jul 17 16:28:06 CEST 2011

Thanks Greg,

both references are very interesting.

If I understand correctly, the DSH approach is to convert Haskell
programs into SQL and run them inside the database. This seems a good
solution when the program objective is to change data in the database
according to some business logic or to preprocess relational data to
create a non-relational temporary resultset which is later used by an
external procedure.

The persistent way, from this perspective, appears to be more
"conventional" - data are obtained from the database to be processed by
an external program and presented on a website, for instance. Similar to
Takusen, the main objective here appears to be compile-time guarantees
on database types. Indeed, in a functional program, the string-based
embedded SQL is the weakest link in the chain. persistent strengthens
this link.