[Haskell-cafe] XCode Dependency for HP on Mac

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 09:27:53 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Chris Smith <cdsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, maybe it would it be easier to have the Mac users install
> VMWare's free version and I can just have them install Windows or Linux
> in that?  Or does it also have weird dependency issues like this, too?

(Perhaps wandering slightly O/T, but...) Having done some teaching in
similar circumstances before (although not with Haskell), I'd highly
recommend this approach. In fact, I'd probably have all the students,
regardless of OS install VMWare or VirtualBox, and then distribute a
VM image with the Haskell Platform and any other tools they need
preinstalled. It means a bit of extra preparation, but it'll allow you
to get to the interesting bit of the class more quickly and with less
frustration on the part of both yourself and your students.

Hope this helps.

Chers,

Tim