[Haskell-cafe] XCode Dependency for HP on Mac

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 00:33:26 CEST 2011

On 28 July 2011 03:58, Chris Smith <cdsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 08:27 +0100, Tim Cowlishaw wrote:
>> (Perhaps wandering slightly O/T, but...) Having done some teaching in
>> similar circumstances before (although not with Haskell), I'd highly
>> recommend this approach. In fact, I'd probably have all the students,
>> regardless of OS install VMWare or VirtualBox, and then distribute a
>> VM image with the Haskell Platform and any other tools they need
>> preinstalled.
>
> Thanks for the advice.  I'd like to avoid this, because I want to leave
> the students with the impression that they have the tools to do their
> own programming for their own computers when they finish... but at least
> it's an option that lets Mac users have a working environment of some
> sort.  I've never had any problems with the Windows installation of the
> HP, and I'm knowledgeable enough to help with Linux, so I'm not worried
> about those.

I've tutored a Haskell course for the past two years at ANU (it's gone
on for longer though) and students generally don't have a problem
getting it working.  There is a week or two when we have to track down
all the OSX stuff (i.e. where is XCode, etc.) though it helps that
Alex Mason also tutored it and uses OSX.  Then comes the fun part
where students are told to set up their editing environment on the uni
Linux machines to set tabs to 4 literal spaces, etc. but never seem to
remember to do so for their Windows machines... ;-)

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com