[Haskell-cafe] A language that runs on the JVM or .NET has the advantage of Oracle & Microsoft making those layers more parallelizable.

austin seipp as at hacks.yi.org
Sun Jul 31 00:32:00 CEST 2011

No, there aren't. At least none that I know of. Don Stewart did work
years ago on a JVM backend for GHC for his Bachelors thesis. You may
be able to find it online (I don't know the name, sorry.) This was
never integrated mainline however.

These questions have been asked many many times, but the real answer
is "it's a whole lot of work." Not impossible, but a whole lot of
work. And it's not clear what the ultimate tradeoffs are. See this for
some more info:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC:FAQ#.NET.2FJVM_Availability

In particular I'm reminded of the story of Don Syme, F# author, who
initially did work I believe for a Haskell.NET compiler, but
inevitably abandoned it and went to create F#. See some of the history
behind F#, SML.NET and Haskell.NET here:

http://www.infoq.com/interviews/F-Sharp-Don-Syme#

In particular you can just look at Don's answers to the related questions.

Hope it helps.

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM, KC <kc1956 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there plans a foot (or under fingers) to make a version of Haskell
> that runs on the JVM?
>
> --
> --
> Regards,