[Haskell-cafe] *GROUP HUG*

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Sun Jun 5 02:27:34 CEST 2011

Yves Parès <limestrael at gmail.com> wrote:

> From from what I see here, Haskell at work seems to target web
> development.  I should try this soon...

That's one of the main use cases for Haskell in real world projects (in
my opinion).  However, I also use Haskell for network servers.

> What is everyone using? Yesod?

Personally I use Yesod, but that's mainly a matter of taste.  I think,
the other big framework is Happstack.  There is also a framework called
Salvia.  It comes with a very nice AJAX wiki/blog demo.  You should
check it out.

The reason why I use Yesod is twofold:  Firstly and mainly because I'm
used to it.  Secondly because I didn't like Happstack that much.  I'm
amazed by how you can get very productive with very little code, but
that reasoning probably also holds for the other frameworks.

One important note about Yesod, however:  To really exploit it to its
full power you should understand very well and be willing to use some of
the Haskell extensions, most notably type families, quasiquoting and
Template Haskell.  Many people view this as a downside.

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/