[Haskell-cafe] Subcategories on Hackage

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 07:55:13 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Felipe Almeida Lessa
<felipe.lessa at gmail.com> wrote:
> tl;dr: I don't think ontologies are suitable for Hackage.

I think I agree.  For instance, I just uploaded fix-imports and had to
decide which categories it is in.  It manages imports, which is
IDE-like and people looking for IDE-like features might be interested,
so IDE.  It's concerned with haskell itself, so Haskell.  And it's
meant to be used with an editor, though it isn't an editor itself, so
Editor.  It's actually none of those things, but there's no specific
category for it, and if there were I think it would be too small to be
useful.  So I picked things I think people who might be interested in
it would be searching for.

I don't think a hierarchy would have helped in this case, but tags
would be appropriate.  Actually, I wound up using the categories like
tags.  I think we just need better search, e.g. +tag +tag or
something.