[Haskell-cafe] ANN: mecha-0.0.5

Tom Hawkins tomahawkins at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 20:28:50 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 08:25 PM, Tom Hawkins wrote:
>
>> What is the easiest way to generate polygon meshes from constructive
>> solid geometry?  Marching cubes [4] seems pretty involved.
>
> As I understand it, this is a Very Hard Problem. This is (one of the
> reasons) why there are so few converters from POV-Ray to mesh-based formats;
> it's highly non-trivial to tesselate CSG.

POV-Ray is pretty fast.  I had contemplated just rendering a bunch of
POV-Ray images to emulate a realtime 3D view.  Images could be
buffered up based on the current camera position.

Another goal of the project is to generate 2D prints from 3D models.
Any idea how hard is this going to be?  Basically it needs to identify
features (holes, edges, etc), then project these features to an
orthographic plane, alone with associated dimensions.

-Tom