[Haskell-cafe] How to install GhC on a Mac without registering?

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 03:28:46 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 17:35 -0700, Donn Cave wrote:
> Exactly.  If you don't use MacOS, let alone develop on it, I guess
> it's possible that this looks like an formidable obstacle, but then
> wouldn't that pose some limits to how much you're going to be able
> to enjoy GHC anyway?

Well, I explained my motivation... my students in this class are 12 to
13 years old, and those who have Macs have very little knowledge of how
to install XCode on them.  I don't use a Mac, and don't have the install
disks...  I'm honestly not sure if they do or not.  (I certainly don't
keep install disks around for *any* other software I use, so it's hard
for me to imagine people happening to still have the disks that came
with their computers; don't they normally get tossed out with the
cardboard boxes?  Maybe Mac users are different...)

This is a huge issue for me.  I suppose if no one has their OS disk and
it comes to that, I'll pay a bunch of 5 dollar fees out of pocket to buy
those students XCode 4 (hopefully at least *that* is downloadable), but
it won't be a pleasant choice to fork over a good chunk of money to
Apple for the use of free software that they didn't develop.

--
Chris