[Haskell-cafe] How to install GhC on a Mac without registering?

Brandon Moore brandon_m_moore at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 16:57:00 CEST 2011

> From: Chris Smith <cdsmith at gmail.com> June 6, 2011 8:58 AM

> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 08:51 +0100, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
>>  In paying for XCode 4, you are getting a lot of proprietary code in
> addition to gcc.
>
> True... but not *using* it.
>
>>  However, XCode 3 remains free to download, if you are a registered Apple
> developer.  Registration is completely free of charge:
>>      http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/
>
> Ah, thank you!  I was indeed under the impression that the registration
> needed here was the same one that costs $99.  It's good to know that's
> not true, and practically speaking, this at least makes it possible to
> get things set up on Macs for my class.

There do seem to be source releases for the open source components

http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/developer-tools-40/

Maybe someone interested could build a self-contained gcc to include with
the Haskell Platform, as on Windows.

Neither owning nor regularly using a Mac, I just looked into this after seeing
the surprising claim that charging for Xcode 4 was motivated by accounting
requirements.

Brandon