[Haskell-cafe] Best platform for development with GHC?

Alexander Solla alex.solla at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 19:55:44 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 7:49 AM, kaffeepause73 <kaffeepause73 at yahoo.de>wrote:

> Its also worth looking at Arch Linux - they have a rolling release and are
> therefore
> very up to date and have from first glance a very good haskell integration.
> The community
> is excellent as well.

Arch Linux is my development distribution of choice.  At home, I set up an
Arch linux "server" running essentially nothing but VirtualBox and SSHd.  I
also set up a cluster of Arch Linux based virtual machines to do actual
development on, administer the internal network, serve email, etc.

> I switched back to debian squeeze however, because of its stability -
> update
> seldomly cause trouble.
> With the rolling release u need to create urself a way to roll back in case
> of problems.
> On debian I'm using cabal to get the libraries I need, without problems so
> far.

Exactly.  And I never did find a satisfactory way to do that on my laptop.

The only reason I'm using Ubuntu on this laptop is because of Arch's rolling
release model.  I had Arch on here, but at some point, a kernel upgrade
caused a major regression.  All my important data was backed up, so I nuked
Arch and tried Ubuntu (with a 6+ month old kernel).  It worked.  I'd rather
be using Arch, but this hardware imposes limitations.