[Haskell-cafe] Best platform for development with GHC?

John D. Ramsdell ramsdell0 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 02:57:25 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Ketil Malde <ketil at malde.org> wrote:
> "Dmitri O.Kondratiev" <dokondr at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Which platform - Mac OS X, Linux or Win32 is best for development with GHC
>> today?
>
>> How are things with Ubuntu?
>
> I use Ubuntu.  Most stuff is fairly up-to-date, but even with six-month
> releases, it's lagging the cutting edge, and GHC is still 6.12.

Developers should be using older versions of GHC because they cannot
be sure users will have an up-to-date GHC.  Heck, I test my
application on GHC 6.10 before I release.  You find out interesting
things such as the fact that even though Data.Map.foldWithKey is
deprecated, the preferred function is not available in 6.10.

John