[Haskell-cafe] Category theory as a design tool

Arnaud Bailly arnaud.oqube at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 22:44:56 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org>wrote:

> On 6/23/11 1:39 AM, Arnaud Bailly wrote:
> > Of course, we can always say that each
> > system is a language of its own (rather than *has* a language...) which
> is
> > what Eric Evans coined with its "Ubiquitous language" term. But I find it
> > difficult to connect that particular dots.
>
> That's certainly my take on things (which I argued for at a workshop last
> week). Then again, I'm a linguist and type theorist, so viewing systems as
> languages[1] comes naturally. Do you have a link to Evans' coinage and
> argument?

Sure. His most famous book is "Domain Driven Design" (see
http://domaindrivendesign.org/about). Please note this is extremely "soft"
and not at all mathematically founded. Ubiquitous language is one of the
tools he proposes to guide software development: Use the language of the
people who will use your software to define a "Core domain", a well-defined
set of objects and methods that faithfully represent the business domain.

Best regards
Arnaud