[Haskell-cafe] Anyone recommend a VPS?

Neil Davies semanticphilosopher at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 13:52:46 CET 2011

Hi

We run a the whole of our distributed file system (AFS) on a single
AWS micro instance with linux containers inside.

We then use other instances for various things as/when needed (using
kerberos to distributed the management and control to the appropriate
people). For example we have a EC2 machine that we power up and down
as needed (still have to pay for the filestore when not being used -
but that is very small) for GHC - used it this morning to upgrade our
shared (via AFS) development environment to 7.0.2. All our other
systems read of that (we are completely distributed operation).

They've been great - had a physical processor go bad once - and also
they had a h/w problem on one the machines once, that is in last 2
years or so about 6 operational system years.

Neil