[Haskell-cafe] why are trading/banking industries seriously adopting FPLs???

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Fri Mar 25 20:34:17 CET 2011

On 11-03-25 03:08 AM, Vasili I. Galchin wrote:
>       I am very curious about the readiness of trading and banking
> industries to adopt FPLs like Haskell:

Not only FPL and not only Haskell, but also descendents of APL such as
J. Generally also any innovation.

Why are they willing to try out innovations? Because they can assess the
risk and the probable benefits of trying out another innovation, and
they can contain that risk. They know how to be prudent without being
overly conservative.

Why can they assess the risk and the probable benefits of trying out
another innovation and can contain the risk? Because they can do that of
almost anything. They are surviving investors. Trying out another
innovation is just another investment, not unlike trying out another
stock, another bond, another estate.

Why can the computer security people not do the same? Because they are
debuggers, not investors.